Tips on how to plan a volunteering opportunity
It is important to consider these points before recruiting for a role:
- Clarify within the organisation why you are involving volunteers, not only what tasks they might do, but what the benefits are, for the organisation, its users and volunteers themselves.
- Be clear what your volunteer policy says about the role of volunteers in the organisation. (Please contact us if you need to develop/update a volunteer policy.)
- Clarify the position on support, training, expenses, insurance etc.
- Liaise with colleagues so that everyone knows what is going on, and particularly how to deal with enquiries if the person responsible for co-ordinating volunteers is unavailable.
- Make sure there are the resources to involve volunteers, e.g. enough office space, money for expenses etc.
- Be clear what will happen when people get in touch, e.g. is there an interview, DBS check, application form to fill in, an induction meeting etc?
- Break the role down into specific tasks.
- Be clear if particular skills or experience are essential, but avoid excluding people by being unnecessarily rigid about what is required.
Need extra help to plan a volunteer opportunity? Contact Rupal, our Best Practice Manager by email or phone 020 7424 9990.