Volunteer Centre Camden is dedicated to better volunteering in Camden.
We give information and support to people who want to volunteer, promote volunteering and equality of access to volunteering opportunities.
We also work with organisations to develop volunteering opportunities, and support them with best practice in volunteer management.
Volunteer Centre Camden values:
What is now called Volunteer Centre Camden was launched in January / February 1967 as Camden Council of Social Service Voluntary Worker’s Bureau. The first Director was Rachel Hubback. It is thought we were the first volunteer centre to open in London. We were originally a part of the Camden Council of Social Service which is now called the Council for Voluntary Service or Voluntary Action Camden.
Rachel Hubback retired from the organisation in 1977, after 11 years of service.
On 1st April 1990 we had become officially independent from Voluntary Action Camden. But it was a few months later in July 1990, that we were launched for the second time in 23 years. By that time, we were known as Camden Volunteer Bureau – and there were more than 350 volunteer bureaux throughout the country.
In 2006 Camden Volunteer Bureau joined the network of volunteer centres, and we changed our name to Volunteer Centre Camden.
We currently hold the Volunteer Centre Quality Accreditation for the borough of Camden. And as of July 2015, we also hold the Investing in Volunteers quality standard for good practice in volunteer management.
- To offer a brokerage service that empowers people who are looking to volunteer to find a role that interests them, and to help promote organisations’ volunteering opportunities.
- To excite and inform people in Camden about the potential of volunteering to benefit both themselves and their communities.
- To promote the development of good practice in relation to the involvement of volunteers among volunteer-involving organisations.
- To create new volunteering opportunities in Camden. To comment and campaign on national and local issues that affect volunteering or volunteers.
- To take an active role in the strategic development of volunteering.
- To improve quality of life in Camden through active citizenship.
- To increase volunteering in Camden.
- To improve the accessibility of volunteering to all in Camden.
- To increase the quality of volunteer involvement in Camden for the benefit of volunteers, community organisations and the wider community.
Find out more:
- Volunteer Centre Camden Strategic Business plan 2012.
- Volunteer Centre Camden Annual Report and Infographic for 2013-14.
- Volunteer Centre Camden strives to serve all parts of the community. We ask all our members and service users to support our Equalities Statement.
- If you would like to know more about our team, go to Who’s who.
- For more details of our services, go to Projects.
- If you would like to visit, go to How to find us.
- To get involved, go to Recruitment.
- Please tell us what you think on the Feedback page.